|Back Home List Renamed Disappeared Rules History Messages Forum Pictures Links Guestbook End|
Return to Index
Posted By: Larry Schenker
Date: October 7, 2003
Any help and suggestions in the below matter will be greatly appreciated.
I would like to locate and obtain a copy of the marriage record of my grandparents. I believe that Josef was born between 1882 – 1884 and Ciwze (no maiden name know) was born between 1878 – 1882). Josef and Ciwze were married between 1902 – 1903.
Two major facts are not very clear:
1. Where were they married?
• Brestz Litowsk, Russia where their Ellis Island records indicate. Also the 1920 United States Federal Census records indicate that they were born in Brestz Litowsk, Russia. You can see the actual census records by going to the below web site:
• Minsk, Russia a town that has been mentioned as a possible marriage site
• Pinsk, Russia another town that has been mentioned as a possible marriage site
2. What was my grandfather’s Surname at birth and how was it spelled?
• Surnames with the same Schenker Daitch-Mokotoff soundex are:
Schanker, Schantzer, Schencker, Schmitzer, Schniker, Schnitzer, Senzer, Shenker, Singer
• Also was their Surname even Schenker. There has been some mention by my father in the last year of his life, but never confirmed, that his father Josef’s name was not Schenker but really Tenenbaum (or some similarly sounding name). As the story goes, Josef was a Russian dissident who had to escape from the Tzar’s police and army during the uprisings and civil disturbances in the early 1900’s - and that before he left Russia in or about 1906 he changed his name from Schenker to Tenenbaum. There are no records here in the United States to indicate that this is anything more than a possible story.
Thanks again. Any help or suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
Return to Index
|Back Home List Renamed Disappeared Rules History Messages Forum Pictures Links Guestbook up|