Back   Home   List   Renamed   Disappeared   Rules   History   Messages   Forum   Pictures   Links   Guestbook   End

Brest Region Forum

Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Travel from Brestz Litovski to Antwerp then to New York

Posted By: Larry Schenker <lpsca@earthlink.net>
Date: October 7, 2003

In 1911 my great grandmother (55 years old), grandmother (33 years old), father (8 years old) and uncle (6) years old left Brestz Litovski, Russia for Antwerp, Belgium. In Antwerp they boarded the Lapland (Red Star Line) and traveled to New York City in the United States. They arrived at Ellis Island on December 12, 1911.

If any one can give me some answers to any of the below questions, it would be much appreciated:

1. Assuming that they left Brestz Litovski by train, would they have traveled directly to Antwerp or stopped at some other city along the way to join other passengers who would be sailing on the Lapland?
2. How many days or months would it have taken to get from Brestz Litovski to Antwerp?
3. Would they have purchased their ship’s passage in Brestz Litovski, Antwerp or some other city along the way?
4. How would they have communicated with my grandfather, who was already in New York City, to advise him as to on what ship they would be sailing?
5. What would the train cost have been to travel from Brestz Litovski to Antwerp?
6. What would the Lapland cost be steerage class, from Antwerp to New York City?

Thanks again. Any answers to my questions or any suggestion as to where I might find some answers would be greatly appreciated.

Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Back   Home   List   Renamed   Disappeared   Rules   History   Messages   Forum   Pictures   Links   Guestbook   up