Back   Home   List   Renamed   Disappeared   Rules   History   Messages   Forum   Pictures   Links   Guestbook   End

Brest Region Forum

Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Brest

Posted By: Larry Schenker (Binenbaum) <lpsca@earthlink.net>
Date: October 2, 2004

I am looking to contact anyone who either lives in Brest today or had relatives that at one time lived in Brest.

My grandfather Anshel Binenbaum, was born on August 15, 1881 in Brest-Litovsk. He was married in Brest to Tsivia Gershkova in 1902. He left Brest-Litovsk for the United States, via Liverpool, United Kingdom in March 1906. He sailed aboard the S/S Haverford to Philadelphia, PA USA. He landed in Philadelphia on May 28, 1906. He immediately travelled to New York, NY USA and eventually moved with his family to Brooklyn, NY USA. Sometime after his arrival in New York and prior to his purchasing the tickets for his family he changed his name to Jacob Schenker. We have no idea where or why he obtained his new name.

Anshel Binenbaum's mother, wife and two infant sons (my father plus uncle) left Brest-Litovsk in November 1911, traveled to Antwerp, Belgium to board the S/S Lapland (Red Star Line) for passage to New York City. They arrived in the United States on December 12, 1911. They joined Anshel in New York City.

Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Back   Home   List   Renamed   Disappeared   Rules   History   Messages   Forum   Pictures   Links   Guestbook   up