Back   Home   List   Renamed   Disappeared   Rules   History   Messages   Forum   Pictures   Links   Guestbook   End

Brest Region Forum

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Re: Ivan Lochaiuk / Teophila Zmitrowicz

Posted By: Karen <joes5th@aol.com>
Date: July 17, 2005

In Response To: Re: Ivan Lochaiuk / Teophila Zmitrowicz (leslie whitehead)

Hi Leslie,

I first came across the name Zmitrowicz when i found my Grandfather, Jan Orlowski, at Ellis Island. I learned he had a Half-sister, Anna Kuczynska who no one ever told me about...she was married to Mikolaj Zmitrowicz. He is the son of Antoni and Anna Janusz Zmitrowicz. Born 1866 in Dorgun. I have found Mikolaj traveling to Passaic ,NJ and then Shenadoah ,PA. I have seen a Zmitrowicz family in the 1900 census. The name is misspelled of course! He must have traveled back and forth for a while before bringing his wife. The first time I find them as a family is in Forest City, PA, my Grnadfather arrived to them in Foreat City, PA in 1901. Also traveling with my Grandfather and his brother is Mikolaj's cousin, Peter. The Zmitrowicz's are in Forest City,PA until the mid 1920's. The family then moves to Detroit, MI. The children of Anna and Mikolaj that I know of are William, Joseph, John and Maria. I found Mikolaj's Visa application in 1926. I also have a copy of his death record, he died in Dorgun in 1938 while on a visit....I have hired Genealogists in the area to try and find records for my Grandfather and his siblings but have had no luck! The village is now in Belarus and I have written a number of letters to the Archive in Grodno but no luck there...
My biggest question is I have been told that all the records were destroyed during the two wars...but one of my Dad's cousins gave me a copy of a birth record that was sent in the 1950's from the Warsaw Archives. But when I wrote to the Warsaw Archives I was told they do not have these records. Very Frustrating...
I do believe I have seen the names you mention on a few Ship's manifests in my search for Mikolaj but I do not know the relationship...but since they are from Dorgun I would think they are somehow related.... let me know if any of this ties into what you know...
Karen

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Back   Home   List   Renamed   Disappeared   Rules   History   Messages   Forum   Pictures   Links   Guestbook   up